Home arrow News arrow 2013 Australian Superkart Championship: Round 2  

Driver Profiles
Image Gallery
Contact Us

2013 Australian Superkart Championship: Round 2

 Image: www.sdpics.com It was another tough weekend at Phillip Island for RedIce Racing and the #29 Zip Eagle II of Ilya Harpas.

Wet and wild weather welcomed the competitors upon their arrival to Phillip Island, with makeshift lagoons imposing themselvs across the various motorways in Cowes. 

 Image: www.sdpics.com

Friday Practice was an exercise in caution as the track was belted with rain, seemingly at random, throughout the day. It proved difficult to find a baseline set up in the rain, but the final session of the day dried up, allowing for more productive running.

Saturday morning practice was a dry affair, with Ilya clocking up the 5th fastest time. The team tweaked the chassis balance of the #29 'Your Amigo, Alex EMS, Davtec' Eagle II machine to Ilya's liking.


Image: www.sdpics.com

Qualifying 1 and 2 saw Ilya set only the 9th fastest time, as he struggled with top end speed. He was happy with the balance of the kart through the bends, but was dropping time down the straights.

Race 1 on Saturday remained dry. Ilya shot up from 9th on the grid to snatch 5th place away on the last lap from Martin Latta's Anderson-DEA after a race-long tussle. Jamieson won the race ahead of Pegoraro (Anderson-BRC) and McIlveen.

Race 2 on Sunday morning brought with it the mercy of rain. In dramatic Phillip Island style, the rain stopped 20 minutes before the karts rolled to the grid. The question then stood: Wet or Dry tyres? Ilya elected to throw caution to the wind and go out on slicks. There were only a handful of karts on the grid with slicks: Jamieson, Smith and Maddern. On the rollaround lap, it was clear that this was the wrong choice. The track only dried out for the last 2 laps.

Nevertheless, Ilya stormed to 4th position, slip sliding his way around the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit. He overlapped the 2012 Australian Superkart Champion, Jason Smith who was also on slicks and finished 1m 30s up the road from eventual 2013 Champion, Russell Jamieson.

Race 3 saw Ilya battle with Latta for the first few laps, until the BRC aboard his Eagle II started to falter. Over the course of the race, he continued to drop straight line speed, lap by lap. He eventually battled with Luneman for 6th position, pulling out a few big moves to stay ahead of the young gun. Unfortunately, during his move around the outside of Luneman over Lukey Heights, Ilya failed to spot the waving yellow flags and was subsequently penalised with 38 seconds added to his race time for ignoring yellow flags.

Image: www.sdpics.com Image: www.sdpics.com


Race 4 saw the engine problem worsen, and Ilya struggled to keep pace with the National karts down the straights. It was a matter of sticking it out and accumulating points, eventually finishing in 5th place with the help of some retirements ahead of him.

Ilya finished in 4th place overall for the meeting and placed 6th overall in the 2013 Australian Superkart Championships.

RedIce Racing would like to thank their sponsors - Your Amigo, Alex EMS and Davtec. Further thanks to Steve Harpas, Barb and Dave Hepworth, Todd Johnson, Gary 'Wizzer' Pegoraro and Wayne Spronston.